Would, you give a thief direct access to your current account or savings account? Unluckily, you are doing just that by using your debit card casually. With credit cards, you can flag hidden charges on your bill and decline the charges before making your final payment. On the other hand, debit cards / ATM Cards take money directly from your account, which makes them juicy targets for cash-hungry fraudsters. Protect yourself from skimming, phishing and other forms of fraud by following 10 tips to protect yourself and secure your debit card from hackers:-
1. Regularly update the contact information (i.e. mobile number, e-mail, address, etc.) that you gave to the bank. This will make it faster for the bank to notify you of any suspicious transactions.
2. Prevent hackers from getting access to your personal/sensitive information. Read more: After the COMELEC Data Leak: 4 Ways to Stop Hackers from Getting Your Data.
3. Be smart with online transactions. Shop with credible merchants and look for secure transaction symbols like the “lock” icon on your browser. Avoid using public hotspots for online payments.
4. Regularly check your account balance and transaction history. If you see anything suspicious, immediately report it to the bank.
5. Take note of the emergency hotline/customer service number at the back of your card and call it immediately in case your card gets stolen.
6. If you’re planning to use your card abroad, let the bank know your travel dates and destination.
7. Watch out for anything suspicious on the ATM. Shake the card reader (where you insert your card) to ensure that there are no foreign objects attached to it. Check the pin pad if there are any hidden cameras or false key pads. If anything looks crooked, loose, or damaged, it might have been tampered.
8. Be vigilant of your surroundings when approaching and using an ATM. Make it a habit to cover your hand and pin pad as you enter your PIN on the ATM.
9. Never share your ATM PIN to anyone, even your family member, best friend etc…
10. If you receive a new card, make sure to destroy your old one. Make sure to cut across the black color magnetic strip and destroy the chip.
In the end, the best way to protect yourself from fraud and hackers is to apply for a card in a bank that puts emphasis on security. With bank security, your debit card comes with built-in EMV chip technology that provides an added layer of protection from all forms of fraud. If you prefer using credit over debit, check out these security tips to help protect your credit card from hackers.